Swinging From Loose Hinges
- Taped Rugs Productions, Charles Rice Goff III, C. Goff III, The Doors, John Densmore, Robbie Krieger, Ray Manzarek, Jim Morrison, Cassette Culture, Home Recording, Electronic Cotttage, Doors Tribute, Doors Homage, 1960's, Psychedelic, Sound Poetry, Experimental Music, Avant Garde, Electronic Music
...an homage to the Doors
by Charles Rice Goff III
1 Moonlight Drive (The Doors)
2 My Wild Love (The Doors)
3 The Unknown Soldier (The Doors)
4 Wishful Sinful (Robbie Krieger)
5 L'America (Jim Morrison/The Doors)
6 The Crystal Ship (The Doors)
7 Blue Sunday (Jim Morrison)
8 Aztec Wall Of Vision (Jim Morrison/C. Goff III)
9 When The Music's Over (The Doors)
All performances, mixings, and production by Charles Rice Goff III, except where noted.
This collection of songs is a not-for-profit, art-for-art's-sake project. No rights are claimed to the original Doors songs. These recordings were produced between December, 2018, and June, 2019.
From The Artist:
Last October, as I embarked on my 60th trip around the sun, I began conceiving a collection of interpretations of music by the Doors. Misters Densmore, Krieger, Manzarek, and Morrison had authored the very first album of contemporary music that I ever possessed -- a powerful dose for an-eight-year-old audio cadet. That first Doors album has left a life-long impression on me, and, as Taped Rugs Productions is about to celebrate its own 40-Year anniversary, I felt it was time to acknowledge the Doors' influences, which have revealed themselves over and over in my artistic endeavors.
Listeners who are expecting to hear accurately reproduced "cover" songs will be disappointed by the contents of this album. The interpretations presented here showcase how the Doors' approaches to composition, performance, experimentation, and expression, affect me as an artist, right here in the early 21st Century. While these recordings all contain elements of their antecedents, they each have a life of their own. I encourage one and all to limit your expectations and keep an open mind as you explore this collection.
I would like to dedicate this album to my sister, Charlee, who so long ago provided her own copy of the first Doors album to me for repeated listening, and who, after I nearly wore that record out, purchased a brand new copy for me, which I still possess as of this writing. I also dedicate this album to Carmelita The Kitty, who shared a close, spiritual-level friendship with me over the course of the last 14 years, and who left the world of the living during the months that this homage was being recorded. Special thanks also go out to my wife, Karen, who provided me with not only the Doors songbook which helped guide the course of this project, but who also provided me with oodles of unselfish encouragement throughout this album's production.
The Following Tools Were Used In The Creation Of This Collection:
"The Doors Complete": a songbook produced by Warner Brothers in 1983
"The Lost Writings Of Jim Morrison": a book of poems, Villard Books, NY, 1989
Computers: Windows XP, Windows 10
Software: Cool Edit Pro II, Audacity, Midisoft MIDI Scorewriter, Windows Media Player, Roxio 2011 Sound Recorder, Several Plug-In Audio Sound Effects
Ovation Celebrity Electro-Acoustic Guitar (1990's, big belly, model)
Fender "Reflector" Stratocaster Electric Guitar (1990's Squire Model)
Aklot Electro-Acoustic Soprano Ukulele
Korg R3 Vocoder/Synthesizer
Modified Casio KA 20 Digital Keyboard
Boss RC 20X Loop Station Loop Duplicator
Various Drums, Glockenspiels, Xylophones, Bells, Shakers, Sticks, Brushes
Various Analog Foot Pedal Sound Effects
Various Original And Prerecorded Sound Samples
A cheap, barebones, 4-channel, Radio Shack Mixer
Detailed documentation of the creation of the following recordings was published at the online Electronic Cottage Website and can be accessed both in the PDF files included in this post and via the following internet links:
Electronic Cottage: https://www.electroniccottage.org/swami-loopynanda/moonlight-drive-c-goff-iii-takes-on-the-doors-with-unique-technique
"The Unknown Soldier"
Electronic Cottage: https://www.electroniccottage.org/swami-loopynanda/remaking-the-doors-unknown-soldier-sentiments-shared-and-echoed
Electronic Cottage: https://www.electroniccottage.org/swami-loopynanda/a-trip-down-to-the-doors-lamerica
1) "Moonlight Drive" opens with an edit of a field recording entitled: "Dog Island Tide Coming In," a personally recorded cassette, acquired at a used book sale. The introduction of the song also features a Jim Morrison poem, sung over an original sequence of descending chords and an orchestrated chiming of music boxes.
2) "My Wild Love" features a short vocal bit from Carmelita (The Kitty) Goff, who passed away during the days that this very song was in production. Carmelita's vocals have embellished several Taped Rugs productions since 2006, and his many contributions have earned him great respect as a member of the Taped Rugs family of artists.
3) "Wishful Sinful" features bits of other songs from its Doors album of origin: "The Soft Parade." The collaged vocals are made up of edits from the Biblical Book Of "Revelations." A microcassette recorder was used to produce the repeated bit at the end of the song.
4) "The Crystal Ship" features edits of Jim Morrison breathing and reciting unaccompanied lines from his original poetry, obtained from recordings which were never officially released by the Doors as a group. Back in 1994, Goff had recorded a minimalist version of "The Crystal Ship" for his "Under The Influences, Volume One" cassette album.
5) The lyrics of "Aztec Wall Of Vision" are excerpted from Jim Morrison poems that were never set to music by the Doors. There is a Taped Rugs connection with this piece -- some of these lyrics had been incorporated into a composition entitled "Exorcism" by the group: Herd Of The Ether Space, for their 1991 "Noises Of War" performance and subsequent cassette releases.
6) All the many string instrument parts of "When The Music's Over" were recorded with an Aklot Ukulele, plugged through a Korg R3 Vocoder/Synthesizer. No guitars appear on this particular recording.
Produced By Taped Rugs Productions, 2019
NO CLAIMS ARE MADE TO THE ORIGINAL DOORS SONGS PRESENTED HERE. THIS IS A NON - PROFIT ART EXPERIMENT WITH NO COMMERCIAL INTENTS.
Related Music (Beta) question-dark
Versions - Different performances of the song by the same artist
Compilations - Other albums which feature this performance of the song
Covers - Performances of a song with the same name by different artists
- 2019-06-27 16:05:52
- ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR)
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.4
Uploaded by Taped Rugs Productions on